Having eaten a little too much meat over the weekend and having lots of veg in our box, I thought I’d share our week of meatless meals…
Butternut squash and chick pea curry with grilled pitta
Courtesy of eatlikeagirl. Delicious – sweet, coconutty and peppery.
So I felt rubbish the other day, like my cold had finally got the better of me – after 6 weeks of a cough I wouldn’t be surprised! Anyway, I thought we needed something soothing and warming for dinner which also required the least amount of effort – the summer soup was born.
Perfect with some crusty white bread and a huge glass of red wine – I felt positively well afterwards – an excellent cold cure (plus alcohol ALWAYS helps!).
Summer Soup recipe
1 white onion, finely chopped
1 courgette, finely diced
1 summer squash, peeled and finely diced
1tsp garlic puree
2 pints stock (I used a chicken stock cube)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1tsp dried oregano
1tsp dried thyme
red wine vinegar
salt and pepper
1. Heat some oil in a large saucepan and add the onions once it starts to thin.
2. Fry the onions on a low heat till they start to become translucent, add the garlic, fry for 1 minute.
3. Add the courgette and fry for 2 minutes until softened.
Frying up the courgette and onion
4. Add the thyme and oregano.
5. Add the summer squash and fry for 2 minutes.
Adding the summer squash
5. Add the stock and the tin of tomatos, stir to combine and bring to the boil.
6. Add a dash of red wine vinegar and season to taste – this took a lot of salt so be warned!
The soup bubbling away