1 red pepper, finely diced
8 rashers streaky bacon, grilled/fried and diced
1 courgette, finely diced
1 onion, chopped in half
1/2 red chilli
1 tsp garlic puree
1.5 pints hot/warm chicken stock (I used mine from last weeks roast here, much better than cubed/canned)
300g arborio rice
20g Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Place the onion and chilli in a small processor and whizz until all neatly chopped.
2. Warm a saute pan (not the shallow frying pan I started with) on a medium heat, add a little olive oil and the onion mixture.
4. Add the pepper and courgette, fry for 4 minutes, stirring regularly.
5. Add the rice and stir to combine, fry for 1 minute, stirring.
6. Add a quarter of the stock, combine and simmer for 2 minutes or until absorbed, stirring regularly.
7. Add the rest of the stock, a quarter at a time until it’s all gone and the rice has absorbed most of the moisture. This way is much easier than doing it in ladle fulls and achieves much the same results!
8. Turn the heat off and add the cheese and bacon, stir to combine and season to taste.
9. Serve with a little more cheese grated on top and a grind of pepper. Delicious!