So we’re back on the diet, it’s only taken about 6 months, a house move, a lot of biscuits and some wailing over the scales but we’re back on it. A few days in and I am dreaming about butter but I have lost a pound already (I know I shouldn’t weigh myself that often) so it’s doing something.
We’re doing the GI diet again (well my version of it) as I don’t feel too restricted and it seemed to give me loads of energy last time. We shall see how it goes. So the quest for interesting meals begins, the first recipe on my repertoire as follows…
Spicy Beans with Sweet Potato Jackets
8 small sweet potatoes, washed and scrubbed
1 tsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1 onion, finely chopped
1 chilli, finely chopped (I left the seeds in but it was HOT)
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
4 rashers lean bacon, diced
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 350g tin cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
Handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
Grated cheese to serve (I used Cheddar)
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
2. Lightly wet the potatoes and prick all over. Put on a baking tray and season, rolling the potatoes around to catch all the salt and pepper.
3. Put the potatoes in the oven for 1-1 1/2 hours, till soft inside when poked with a fork and crispy on the outside.
4. Meanwhile, add the olive oil to a saucepan, once hot, add the onions and fry until softened.
5. Add the garlic and chilli and fry for 2-3 minutes.
6. Reduce the heat and add the vinegar and worcestershire sauce, cooking until the liquid has mostly gone.
7. Add the bacon and stir to combine, cook for 2 minutes.
7. Add the tomatoes, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Add the beans, stir to combine and cook through for 2-3 minutes until the beans are warm.
9. Turn off the heat and add the coriander, stir to combine. Check for seasoning, I didn’t add any to be honest, but you might want to!
10. Slice the potatoes in half, two per person and top with a couple of spoonfuls of mixture.
11. Sprinkle a little cheese on top and you’re done (I didn’t have any cheese as I’m trying to be virtuous!)