I love Thursday’s, I can now be excited about the weekend and next week is still far enough away not to have to think about it! We’ve not got much planned for this weekend but then that’s kind of how I like it 🙂 We need to paper the walls in the lounge and rip out the current cupboard in the alcove next to the fireplace…put like that, that’s a fair amount to do! Fingers crossed we do anything at all, motivation has been at a rather low ebb at the moment so we’ll have to push ourselves to get the rest of our plans actually put in motion!
I thought I’d share a lovely dish that I made this week, based on the fact that I have 4 Gem Squash sat in my fridge and no idea what to do with them, I came up with this recipe which worked rather well…
Gem Squash and Spinach pasta
4 gem squash, deseeded, peeled and cubed (1cm pieces)
1 leek, finely sliced
1/2 red chilli, finely chopped seeds and all
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 rashers bacon
1 tin chopped tomatoes
200g spinach, washed and de-stemmed
Handful grated parmesan
1. Heat some olive oil in a deep frying pan, once this has thinned slightly, add the squash and leek. Fry for 3-5 minutes, stirring.
2. Once the squash has broken down a little and the leek is browned, add the chilli and garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
3. Snip the bacon into the pan, I cut mine into reasonably chunky slivers but you can do it however you like!
4. Once the bacon is brown, add the tin of tomatoes, bring the boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 3-5 minutes until the squash is soft and starting to dissolve into the sauce.
5. Whilst the sauce is simmering, cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions.
6. Add the spinach to the sauce, stir to combine and cook on a low heat for a minute or two until the spinach has wilted down.
7. Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
8. Drain the spaghetti and return it to the pan you cooked it in, add the sauce and stir to combine.
9. Add the grated parmesan, stir to combine and serve, et voila!
- Pasta with Acorn Squash and Roasted Onions (mainelylocal.wordpress.com)
- Roasted Squash with Sorta Indian Sorta Mediterranean Basmati Rice (frshforce.wordpress.com)
- Monique: Baked Spaghetti Squash with Garlic and Butter | Steamy Kitchen Recipes (steamykitchen.com)