So this is how it goes – I open the fridge, peek inside…nope nothing I fancy…sit back down on the sofa…stomach rumbles…open the fridge…must cook something! And the idea for this was born…with a little googling 🙂
Healthy, hearty and full of things I had in my cupboard/fridge…
Chorizo, cherry tomato and potato stew
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 red onion, diced
2 peppers, diced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (or 1 tsp garlic paste if you’re lazy like me!)
20cm length of chorizo sausage, skin removed and diced
4 small potatoes, finely diced
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tin chopped tomatoes
Handful of roughly chopped fresh coriander
1. Heat some olive oil in a heavy based pan with a lid. Once the oil is thinning, add the cumin seeds.
2. Once the cumin seeds brown and start to smell roasted, add the onion, garlic and peppers. Fry for 5 minutes until softened.
3. Add the chorizo and fry for 2 minutes, stirring.
4. Add the potatoes and stir to combine. Fry for 3 minutes until everything starts looking a little smushy – technical I know! 😉
5. Add the cherry tomatoes, stir, then add the paprika and tinned tomatoes.
6. Wack the heat up until it comes to boiling point and then reduce to a simmer. I simmered it for about an hour, stirring every 15 minutes or so but you can cook it for less time – just need to make sure that the potatoes are cooked!
7. Once it’s cooked, stir through the coriander and serve – bon appetit!